More things to do with oats

I just realized I've never posted my method for museli! Probably because it's not very hard and I really don't give it much thought as it's something I do nearly every morning. It's not a super quick breakfast, but it is super delicious and it's worth the effort. In addition, it's one of those things you could start at night to cut out most of the time involved in preparation.

Quality ingredients are key here. If you're going to put some foul, sugary yogurt on top, don't tell me about it. If you're topping it with strawberries in January (and you don't live in the southern hemisphere), I really don't want to hear about it. However, if you can get your hands on full fat, raw milk yogurt from a trusted source, this just might become one of your favorite morning meals.

Morning museli
Serves 1

2 heaping tablespoons of raw oats (the 'quick' stuff from the bulk bin or Quaker are fine)
2 tablespoons milk (skim, 1%, whole...anything works here)
3-4 huge plops yogurt (I use a soup spoon and overfill it shamelessly)
sliced fresh fruit
1 tbsp honey

Optional ingredients: (though I use all of them)
cinnamon, to taste (I use lots as it's meant to be a very beneficial spice)
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
1 tbsp slivered almonds
1 tbsp wheat germ

Place raw oats in a bowl. Add milk. These need to soak for 15 minutes (alternatively, you can do this the night before and whack it in the fridge overnight and resume fixing first thing in the morning). You can continue to add ingredients on top, but make sure you soak for 15 minutes or so before eating. My husband thinks I'm absurd and that it's fine without soaking, but I prefer the slightly soggier texture of the oats after soaking. Add yogurt, cinnamon, nuts, seeds and wheat germ. Top with sliced fruit and drizzle with (local!) honey. Voila! Healthy breakfast that will keep you going all morning.

No comments: